FOLLOW ME ON:

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

On The Road.

Again.

First L.A., now New Orleans, next Mississippi.

I had to leave before I could finish THESEUS. Which was lame of me. I thought about bringing it, but I was already taking work with me, so...

Sorry, Dudes. I'll finish that in a few weeks when I get back home to my stuff and my studio and my life and all.

In the meantime, here are some sketches from the Quarter.


For whatever reason, my favorite thing to do when I travel is to make sloppy, lazy, indulgent line drawings of my surroundings. Usually of a place's more representative architecture. It's tremendously satisfying and relaxing. It lets me feel like I'm on vacation, like I have the time to be sitting in a park or cafe, sipping something cold, and drawing interesting buildings just to kill the time. This is almost never true, but it's nice to feel that way.

8 comments:

Scribbler said...

these are great! loving the theseus panels aswell

Anthony Holden said...

The topmost is aces, Jacob

Jared Scott Greenleaf said...

I think its great, and it compliments a great and economic style that is eye-pleasing to us while at the same time enables you to make quick comic books. Maybe one day you'll be known as the "indie-John Romita Jr."

Tyson Murphy said...

these make me want to learn how to draw!!!!!

madison said...

um, so i do believe a bit of FILLING IN is necessary- JAKE!!!!!! what is this simini is telling me about your awesome one in a million you-got-picked-for comics experience of awesomeness that you so totally deserve?!? TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT!!!!! i am so THRILLED for you, and i can't think of anyone more deserving!! way to GO! you're the MAN!! the draughtsman!! :) goood luck!

Sam said...

Oh my God! I feel like spent about half my summer in Pirate's Alley. These are beautiful renderings of a beautiful city. I do the same thing when I'm in a new place. It feels more satisfying than taking photos, you know?

M.R. Weaver said...

I do enjoy your environment observational sketches.
c:

Houston Trueblood said...

WHY do you have to make these look so FREAKING GORGEOUS?