FOLLOW ME ON:

Friday, February 18, 2011

FANART FRIDAY: HUGO PRATT

Hugo Pratt is a master of his art form.  And Corto Maltese is his masterpiece.

The eponymous Corto is a seafaring gentleman of fortune who is so hardcore he straight carved his own lifeline into his palm.  And it only gets better from there.  Pope described him as a turn of the century Han Solo, which is pretty apt.

This drawing was a LOT of fun.  I knocked out two pages today, so I was pretty done with tight, controlled drawing, and cutting lose in value with a chunky graphite stick was just the thing I needed. 

Both Corto Maltese and Hugo Pratt are Venetian, so I decided to put our hero in Venice.  I stole this composition from one of my favorite artists. As always...

THE FIRST PERSON TO NAME THE ARTIST I VICTIMIZED GETS THE SKETCH.

15 comments:

Joey Majdali said...

John Singer Sargent. Very nice piece Jake. I'm happy to see these every week!

K Cummings said...

Drat. I need to wake up earlier or stay up later. I always thought Sargent's Venice looked beautiful but haunted. Perfect adaptions

Vencys_lao said...

Great interpretation of that monster of comics, Hugo Pratt!
Amazing art!

Great!

Michael Mercer said...

stupid joey I was going to say that.

Simini said...

I was going to say Sargent too... Dang it Joey. Stop staying up so late.

And this is beautiful. And a turn of the century Han Solo sounds exciting.

But I was so hoping for Ender's Game... sigh.

Worth Dayley said...

I will win one of these one day.

Either that or I will cheat and convince you to sell me one.

Will Strong said...

You nailed Corto Maltese. Nice work dude.

James Bourne said...

Ah, Corto Maltese comics and Venice....good times.....good times.

Jed Henry said...

You've outdone yourself. This is approaching the level of that Les Petit Papiers lady.

Cons Oroza said...

Hugo Pratt is Argentinian.
I love your pic!

JAKE WYATT said...

Take it up with the Italians. = )

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog from Fanartfriday, and I love your work already!

PS What is fanartfriday and how to people know the topics for that week?

JAKE WYATT said...

Hey, Ninkira! Glad you dig the fanart. KtShy runs the Fanart Friday tumblr. You can prolly get in touch with her over on her blog.

Unknown said...

this is great. what did you color with?

JAKE WYATT said...

Thanks, Spencer! I just colored it in photoshop like always, but I dropped a gritty overlay layer on it to give it a little texture.